Here are a few before shots. Of course I forgot to take any before we actually look the cabinet doors off. These are back from when we first moved in. The cabinets are builders grade. They weren't horrible, but oh my goodness what a difference some paint made!
Choosing a color was definitely tough. We have white appliances, except for our fridge which is stainless steal. The worlds ugliest, most neutral but goes with nothing granite counter tops, white trim, grey walls....you get the picture. For a whole lot of neutrals it was tough. The color we ended up with was the same color as our living room/dining room walls which was somewhat of an accident.
The next project on the list is putting a cute contact paper in the shelves and then cleaning them out! So glad doors hide the clutter!
Fair warning, your house becomes a mess while this is all going on! There are still doors covering pretty much the entire living room/dining room floor and stuff is everywhere!
My mother in law is the best! She MADE the color. We used chalk paint (Annie Sloan), which is AWESOME for projects like this. No priming, no prepping, just paint. 2 coats and a finishing layer of a polyurethane with a satin finish (ok 2 coats in some placed) and we were done! The only thing we did ahead of time (besides taking the doors and drawers out, removing all of the hardware and using painters tape to take off edges) was wipe everything down with TSP (make sure you wear plastic gloves!!) to get any gunk and grime build up off.
Oh except, since our cabinets are not super stellar quality, we discovered some pretty big gaps after we painted a test door. So the hubby headed off to Home Depot for some wood filler. He had to fill the gaps, wait for it to dry and then sand and wipe the doors down. An extra step we were not anticipating. Had we realized this we would have gotten it done ahead of time.
And then we painted and painted and painted. I decided I wanted the back of all of the cabinet doors painted too, to give the kitchen a more overall finished look. It made everything take a little longer but I think it was worth it.